International Motoring

The following information is provided for overseas tourists, to assist them in their understanding of the different road rules and regulations that apply in each Australian State and Territory, and to provide guidance to Australians travelling overseas.

For enquires please email: 


An International Driving Permit (IDP) is a requirement for renting a motor vehicle in many countries and is helpful for tourists who find themselves in need of identification or assistance. To determine whether you require an IDP, consult the AAA Motorist Handbook. For further details on IDP's click here or contact the Motoring Club in your State or Territory.


In order to renew your IDP while you are overseas, you can apply for an IDP by downloading an application form through the constituent motoring clubs websites.  Please note that the club may ask you to provide proof of travel and/or return dates to Australia, as an IDP is designed for touring purposes and anyone residing in another country for a lengthy period should apply for a licence in that country.  Contact the Motoring Club in your State or Territory.

driving in australia

Overseas tourists who intend to drive in Australia should take the time to get know Australia's road rules. Although there are eight states and territories in Australia, road rules are largely consistent. Information on driving in Australia, available in a number of languages, can be accessed here.

bringING your car to australia

For information on temporarily bringing your car, motorcycle or other vehicle to Australia, please click here.

Taking your car overseas

The document used to identify your vehicle is called a Carnet de Passages en Douane (CPD) and allows visitors to temporarily import their vehicles for a limited period of time. For more information on carnets, please click here.