Australia's Best Cars 2013 - Winners Announced
The peak national motoring organisation, the Australian Automobile Association (AAA), has announced the winners of this year's Australia's Best Car awards to help new car buyers with their choices and to set the standard for new vehicles on the market.
"This is core business of the motoring clubs – helping members with car buying decisions while advocating for safer and more affordable transport," AAA Chief Executive Andrew McKellar said.
"The winning vehicles are the best of the best in their categories and perform consistently high in all assessment areas," he said.
"Winner of the Best Medium Car Under $50,000, the Mazda6 Touring, was also recognised as the 'Judges' Choice' as it ticked all the boxes that make it a benchmark car in its class and will influence the direction of its competitors," Mr McKellar said.
New innovations to the Australia's Best Cars program in 2013 include:
- Use of the indicative 'drive away' rather than manufacturers list price in the affordability assessment
- A new category of 4x4 Dual Cab Utilities to recognise their growing popularity
- More stringent safety criteria requiring winning vehicles to be not less than 5-star ANCAP Safety Rated, or if not yet tested, must be eligible for 5-star.
"These awards are not a beauty contest but another example of the clubs working to improve the safety of vehicles on our roads and recognizing the changing consumer buying habits and preferences," Mr McKellar said.
There will be no award winner for the People Mover category in 2013.
"This is the first time in the thirteen years of the program that an award has been withheld and it's unfortunate that not one vehicle in that class meets the expectations of an Australia's Best Car," Mr McKellar said.
"I urge all brands not to let down any segment of the community and suggest they need to reassess the affordability and safety performance of their people mover vehicles," he said.
More information www.australiasbestcars.com.au
Australia's Best Cars 2013
- Best Light Car Renault Clio Expression TCe 120
- Best Small Car under $35,000 Hyundai i30 Active
- Best Small Car over $35,000 Audi A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI COD
- Best Medium Car under $50,000 Mazda6 Touring
- Best Medium Car over $50,000 BMW 320i
- Best Large Car under $60,000 Holden Commodore SV6
- Best Large Car over $60,000 Lexus GS 350 F Sport
- Best People Mover Award Withheld
- Best Sports Car under $50,000 Volkswagen Golf GTI
- Best Sports Car $50,000 - $100,000 BMW M135i
- Best SUV under $45,000 Subaru Forester 2.5i
- Best SUV $45,000 - $65,000 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander CRDi
- Best Luxury SUV over $65,000 Volkswagen Touareg V6 TDI
- Best All Terrain 4WD under $100,000 Land Rover Discovery 4 TDV6
- Best 4x4 Dual Cab Ute Ford Ranger XL 3.2 (d)
- Judges' Choice Mazda6 Touring